Brand name: Adipex-P
Other brand names: Ionamin, Obenix, Oby-Cap, Teramine, Zantryl
Generic name: Phentermine
is identical to amphetamine group of drugs and is a strong stimulant. The drug is also an appetite suppressant, which acts on central nervous system. When used with exercise, diet, and modification in behavior, it can treat obesity, especially in people who have high risk factors like increased blood pressure, cholesterol or diabetes. The uses of Adipex-P are not limited only to the ones listed in this section.
Special Information on Adipex P
Taking Adipex-P with other medications, especially diet medications without the counsel of your doctor should be avoided. When taken in conjunction with dexfenfluramine or fenfluramin or other similar diet drugs, Adipex-P can lead to pulmonary hypertension, a fatal but rare lung disease.
The side effects of Adipex-P may include impaired reaction or thinking, so driving or doing any work that requires you to be alert or awake should be avoided, while taking it.
Alcohol intake should be avoided while you take this drug as it can increase the medication’s side effects.
Since Adipex-P is a habit forming drug, it should be used only when prescribed specifically. The number of pills taken from every bottle of the medication should be noted carefully as it is a drug that can be abused easily. You should be cautious when the drug is being taken by any other person in your home without prescription or inappropriately.
The drug causes withdrawal symptoms like extreme tiredness or depression, when you cease taking it after prolonged use. The cessation of the drug should be done only after consultation with your doctor. The drug may have to be tapered slowly, before you stop using it.
Precautions before using Adipex-P
- The use of Adipex-P should be avoided, if you have allergic reaction to it or any other stimulant drug.
- High blood pressure, heart disease, glaucoma, overactive thyroid, and atherosclerosis are some of the conditions in which the drug is contraindicated.
- If you have drug abuse or alcohol abuse history, the use of Adipex-P is contraindicated.
- When you are taking diet medications like dexfenfluramine or fenfluramine, Adipex-P should be avoided as it can lead to pulmonary hypertension, which a fatal and rare disorder. The drug should not be clubbed with other diet drugs without the advice of your doctor.
- When you have taken MAO inhibitors like phenelzine, isocarboxazid, rasagiline, transcypromine or selegiline for a minimum of two weeks before, it is best to avoid Adipex-P as fatal side effects may occur if it is ingested without eliminating MAO inhibitor from the blood stream.
- If you are allergic to any drugs, you should inform to your doctor about it.
- If you have thyroid disorder, diabetes or anxiety disorder or epilipesy or any other condition, you may have to undergo special tests or adjustment of dose, while you are under treatment.
Pregnancy and Lactation
The effect of Adipex-P on the unborn baby has not been established yet. Nor has it been found in breast milk. The instance of the drug causing harm to a nursing infant has also not been proved yet. However, if you are pregnant, it is advisable to inform your doctor about pregnancy. Breast feeding mothers should inform about it to their doctor, before they take the medication.
Use of Adipex
Adipex-P should not be given to persons less than 16 years of age without consultation with a doctor. Since it is a habit forming drug, it is meant for the sole use of the person it is prescribed to and not for anyone else in the household. It should not be shared, especially with persons who have history of addiction or abuse. The drug should be kept safe in a place, where others cannot reach it.
The medication should be taken as prescribed by your doctor. Taking the drug in large doses or for longer periods of time is not recommended. The directions present on the prescription label should be followed strictly.
- Adipex-P should be taken on empty stomach and before breakfast is a preferred time. It should be taken a minimum of 10 to 14 hours, before retiring to bed. The dose should not be increased without the doctor’s advice for increased effect. Over dosage can lead to serious and fatal side effects.The drug should not be chewed, broken or crushed nor should an extended release capsule be opened.
- The pill should be swallowed as a whole as it is created especially to release medication gradually into the body. Opening or breaking the pill can alter the release mechanism and bring on adverse effects.
- The drug should be taken only for a few weeks’ time or shorter.In case you miss a dose, take it immediately when you are aware of it. If it is time for the next dose, the missed dose should be skipped and the medication taken as scheduled. Extra dosage should never be attempted to compensate for the dose that you missed.
Overdosage of Adipex-P
If you suspect an overdose of the medication, you should seek emergency medical help as it can have fatal consequences. Overdose symptoms of Adipex-P include hallucinations, confusion, nausea, aggressive or restless feeling, diarrhoea, tremors, irregular heartbeat, rapid breathing, fainting, light-headedness, and seizure.
High dose of Adipex-P taken over a long period can lead to several skin problems, irritability, insomnia, hyperactivity or irritability, and sleep problems.
If you feel unexplained and are a victim of increased hunger or, if you suspect that the medication is not having the normal influence, you should stop taking the drug.
Stopping Adipex-P after taking it for a long span can trigger withdrawal symptoms. The drug should not be stopped abruptly without consulting about it with your doctor. Your doctor may advice to gradually taper the drug, before you stop it completely.
The drug should not be taken in the evening, as it can cause sleep disorders like insomnia.
Drug and Food Interactions
Before you take Adipex-P, you should inform your doctor if you are taking drugs for treating high blood pressure, diabetes, guanethidine, guanadrel and consuming antidepressants.
Drinking alcohol while you are taking Adipex-P can increase its effects. The side effects triggered as a result may alter your reaction and thinking power. If you are driving, or doing anything that needs you to be alert or awake, you should simply avoid taking this drug.
If you experience difficulty in breathing, swelling of lips, face, tongue and throat or hives, you should get immediate medical attention.
Serious side effects of Adipex-P include shortness of breath on mild exertion itself, rapid weight gain, swelling, chest pain, fast heartbeat, feeling faint, unusual behavior or thought, confused feelings, high blood pressure, severe headache, buzzing ears, confusion, anxiety, blurred vision, uneven heartbeat, chest pain, and seizures.
Tremors, headache, nervousness, insomnia, dry mouth, constipation, diarrhea or itching are some of the less intense side effects of Adipex-P.
The side effects listed here are not complete and there may be other side effects too. If you find any side effect that is unusual or troublesome, inform your doctor about it.
Store the drug away from direct heat and moisture and at room temperature. Always maintain a record of how many pills you have used in the bottle. Since it is a medication of abuse, you should be aware if any other person in your household is using it without a proper prescription.
Adipex-P to help you lose weight and another popular drug is zopiclone 7.5mg .